Stop 7: The Robin Hood-Information

The Robin Hood was first called the Rowlands Castle Tavern probably in the early 1800s. It then became The Railway Hotel, when the Landlord in the late 1860’s obtained a concession from the Railway Company to be allowed to send goods on the railway. Therefore people could use the Public House to dispatch their goods, as we might use a Post Office today.

It became the Robin Hood in 1969 when the Landlord, Bob Heppel from Nottingham, changed the name for his own personal preference. He wasn’t allowed to change the name to the Robin Hood until a public house of the same name closed in Forestside. That public house was located where a building stands on the sharp bend in Forestside.

An account written in 1862 by Charles Rogers Cotton, “A visit to Rowlands Castle”, describes that a good deal of gaiety at times, especially in the summer season, was enjoyed by visitors to the village. As many as four and sometimes six van loads of people would arrive having visited Leigh Park House.

In her booklet, Mary Jane Lomer writes: “The deep Dell where once the Castle stood being surrounded by lofty trees rendered it a favourite spot for picnics. Picnickers were attracted by the enterprising landlord of the Tavern who provided refreshments and a band so they could picnic and dance about in the open.

A spacious assembly room was also added to the Tavern capable of holding up to 100 people, which opened with a Valentine’s Ball in 1861. Dancing continued to a late hour with a band ably lead by a Professor Fleming of Landport. Things certainly hummed in those days”

Scroll to top